Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gomorrah -

I found this film to be quite strange. Although i felt involved i didnt feel emotionally attatched to any of the characters what so ever. I think the main reasons for this were simply the fact that we never met the characters for a long enough period of time. The cinematography worked well with this because we were always looking over the characters shoulders in every scene almost overlooking what they were doing. Also the fact that when anyone was killed, we never really saw them being shot, we only saw the aftermath. Apart from in the begining when we saw each individual in the tanning place get shot, I think the reson for this though was to instantly show the audience explicitly, what the film was about.

Because we were never fully involved with the characters, I didn't personally feel anything when they died which could possibly be giving a deeper insight into how the characters and people where they live thought about eachother. Seeing eachother as more like "meat" or just property. This was shown when one of the characters who i assume is very high up tells the "money carrier" that he will have to pay for his life. It seemed that the money hold the most power in the film because whatever action is taken, its always related back somehow to money which could be showing the theme of poverty in the film.

I found it really interesting the way that children were exploted in the way that they were, and especially the chinese in the sewing factory. Again i think this comes down to money because the higher up people realise that they dont have to pay them as much as they would have to if they were either adults or of the same race. Being that crime is such a big theme in the film, it wouldn't suprise me if the chinese were in fact illegal immigrants.

2 comments:

  1. I Like the comment.
    'Seeing eachother as more like "meat"'
    Nice reference to money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. missed the idea about the use of children in the film because they were 'cheaper' to those incharge. coool.

    ReplyDelete