Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Class -

Director - Laurent Cantet - 2008


I think the fact that it isn't compulsary to wear uniform in the school holds a major reference to the power element of "The Class" because of the fact that the children see this not wearing uniform as a freedom if you like. The thing is you'd think by letting the children wear what they please, it would also reduce conflict, in this case it does not because it just shows the vast amount of diversity in the classroom.

Race is also a very big issue because that too creates conflict. Like for example they call they Wei, Jackie Chan because he is chinese. Obviously you could see this as a power dominance because although Wei doesn't seem to mind this sort of seemingly inocent nickname, but the fact that its racial, brings up the point that he had no choice in the matter of his nickname based on the power of the other students because Wei is the only person of chinese nationality in his class. Therefore he could be seen as weaker in that way. Making him a target.

The cinematography is important because of the certain angles that the camera's produce. There are alot of high angle shots of the pupils, looking down on them sort of making their authortity seem below that of the teacher but at the same time the high angled shots were shown with the teacher showing that he too, didn't have complate authoritive power over the class. I think the importance of this is simply to present the question of who exactly has the power in this movie.

Its a bit ironic that at some times it seems that the teacher is the one being schooled, especially when he is not in the classroom. Its good to see that the pupils are automatically more powerful when they are in their territory. Its like although he is trying to teach the pupil about his world, they are also trying to give him an insight into their's something which it seem sthe teacher finds hard to grasp based on his response to the pupils questions.

There is alot more, im just trying to get what im trying to say, out in a fairly understandable fashion. I think the fact that I wasn't overly fond of the film really effected my judgment, but whilst thinking about it, I can see certain issues behind the film.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't aware of the high angle shots. I remember some that were at the same level as the kids. Who does have the power then? Does it change throughout the film?

    ReplyDelete